Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Race Card...

This post is a little anecdotal and a little more personal, since I was the target of some verbal abuse earlier on today and would like to write about it, more to calm my own anger and turmoil than anything else, but feel free to discuss or comment.

For those of you that may not know much about Trinidad & Tobago, I will be brutally honest, which by no means is a reflection of my love or patriotism towards my country, nor is it a reflection on how absolutely beautiful I believe my country to be, but I am simply telling it as is. Trinidad has a social hierarchy, speaking in very broad terms, although we are a nation of many races, cultures, ethnicities and backgrounds, there is still a sense of: "You belong here... and you belong here". Skin colour is a major factor in this, it is generally found that people are put in categories of this social and racial hierarchy, with White being, to some, the top of the top (aim to marry a white person, be a white person, live like a white person). It seems sometimes that the darker one's skin gets, the lower on the social or racial hierarchy you 'belong'. I am sure this is the case in many countries but I personally HATE this. There are many ways I can elaborate on this in terms of people behaving as if their skin colour entitles them to a certain attitude, swagger or comportment (see the previous post) but that is an entirely different controversial discussion that could go on for centuries...

One reason why this has been brought to my attention more and more over the years (it can be very subtle or very outright depending on what region of the country you come from - yes, there is racial segregation to a certain degree, very much like London or New York where there are certain ethnic communities), is because of my own skin, which has prompted certain types of responses or treatment, both harsh and "too nice", over the years, and makes me wonder if I am being seen for who I truly am. I remember a few years ago organising a night out with some of my cousins and their friends and hearing one person say: "Yes, let's go into that club with Darcel... we'll get in because she's white!"

This particular statement stunned me, because it never occurred to me that this may be why some people want to know me or be around me. Is my skin colour really access to some sort of privilege or advantage that I would not otherwise be allowed to experience? Would a nightclub in Trinidad & Tobago, the most multi-cultural land in the world, really deny me entry if I had my naturally dark skin colour? Would it not be about stature, grace and the way in which I carried and conducted myself as opposed to my skin colour?

This in itself has many a time thrown me into doubts about who my real friends are and who are trying to benefit socially off of my medical predicament. I have never used my skin colour as a reason for being able to do something socially. Anything that I do, anywhere that I go, anything that I say is because it is Darcel doing it, and not a white girl nor a black girl. Yes, I am the sum of my experience, but I am also the sum of a Dutch, Portuguese, Creole, Indian, British and Bajan heritage; the sum of a Middle Eastern and Mediterranean upbringing; the sum of a European education as well as the sum of years of the skin condition Vitiligo... am I really one to be categorized or simplified?

Today, in a fabric store in the capital of Trinidad, Port-of-Spain, with my mother, I was purchasing the fabrics for my new collection from the very pleasant sales man who always assists me, when a group of about 10 youths, mostly female, from the CCC youth development program walked into the fabric store. They were all wearing the same blue T-shirt so they were rather noticeable but I was oblivious to them as I went about my business like a normal human being. Suddenly, as my sixth sense has been perfected over the years, I felt that I was being watched and looked up to see about 7 of the group standing in the middle of the fabric store staring at me. This for me is normal. So I went back to my business and said nothing. Then my mother chuckled and I knew that she had also seen them blatantly staring and whispering.


Two minutes later, the same group that had been watching me decided to walk past the table where I was handling my merchandise with the sales man, and as the store is divided into a grid system of rows of fabric to walk between, they were in single file and one by one as they walked past, very obviously turned their heads left to stare at me some more, with one boy saying (again something I am used to): "Wow! She is really really white!!"

Again, I ignored it and my mother chuckled. This is so normal for me and my parents that we really don't bother to confront every case of ignorance we encounter or our lives would be wasted. However, about twenty seconds after passing one way, the single file line turned around and walked back in the direction they had come from, past my table again, and again blatantly, and rudely, staring, this time making a couple of comments as girls are known to do in a very catty, bitchy or confrontational manner. By this point I was beginning to feel harrassed and looked at my mother and said: "Do you realise that every single person in a blue T-shirt has a staring problem?" to lighten the situation and we both laughed to each other. My mother being the humourous woman that she is then pointed directly at the group and said loudly: "Who them? Yes, I see them staring, it's clear they have no manners!" and we both laughed again and continued our business.

Usually that is enough to make any google-eyes ashamed once they realise how rude they have been and turn and walk away or come and apologize. But not this time. The group of five females then walked behind the fabrics to where they could take turns peeking around the fabric to look at me and my skin, stare, point, whisper and then fall about laughing. It was at this point that I started to get angry. My mother, ever the protector, made a loud comment about one of the girls in the group who was wearing a headscarf and was clearly Muslim, indicating that as a Muslim she should be just and righteous as Islam preaches and had no right to be talking about me, pointing or laughing. In my opinion, my mother was absolutely right because I always say, why should you be allowed to comment on a visible condition of mine and then be offended if someone comments on a visible condition of your own? If I were to turn to someone with dark skin who calls me "Whitey!!" from across the street and respond: "Yes, Blackie!"... what kind of person would that make me? I would immediately be labelled a racist without question... How fair is that?!

The girls then walked past two more times, with the Muslim girl now saying loudly to the others, without looking at me: "Yeah, let her see us walking past another time!" at which point I will admit, I snapped. I have a lot of patience because of this condition and because of recent events which require me to conduct myself in a certain way and not respond to ignorance with ignorance.. . But we are in a FABRIC STORE and I am not bothering you or harrassing you or doing anything to you, so why are you harrassing me? Yes... I snapped.

I whipped my head up, looked the girls straight in the eye and said from across the table: "If you have a problem, then have the guts to say it to my face instead of loudly parading yourselves in front of me!" which caused them to stop and look at me as if they wanted to start fighting. So I repeated: "Yeah, if you're so loud and so bold, come and tell me what it is you have to say to my face huh?"

To cut a long story short, it was my turn to cash and apparently the girls had begun hurling abuse and using fighting words in my direction, talking about hitting me and whatnot, at which point my mother found the security guard who promptly threw them out. But I was shaking. I was LIVID. I still am.

I do not deserve this. I do not deserve abuse for a skin condition I have no control over. Not to mention how SAD it makes me that a small, multi-cultural island like Trinidad & Tobago can still harbour such ignorance in the youth, because this is my country! How dare you threaten me when I have done nothing to you!

This brings up many racism issues as well as the Vitiligo issue, which like I said we could argue forever, however, this is just to show you a little bit of what my every day life has been like for eighteen years. It never ends. Whether I am black, patchy or white, it never ends and someone always has an issue. I try to be as patient and calm as possible and walk away from the situation, but sometimes, it becomes overwhelming, and I am only human. Like I said, I don't have the answers. But thanks to India Arie for the song that played on the radio on the way home, from which I will borrow a few lines:

I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations, no...
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am the soul that lives within

9 comments:

  1. Darce those girls were full of shit as I'm sure you are already aware.I apologize for lack of a better word but I call it how I see it.Be it their own ignorance lack of understanding or downright stupidity they most likely will never change. You will continue to broaden your horizon and raise awareness for persons who live with vitiligo while being a fashionista of sorts. You make us Trini's and proud and I'm sure the same applies to your family and friends. You always have my love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I think this kind of attitude isn't limited to TnT; it's a typically "small island" attitude. Doesn't make it OK or better in any way, especially considering you're a native of that island (more like a native of the world, though).

    I must admit, I did chuckle to myself when I read about the "entering the club" scenario. I have to get me one of those Darcel Advantage Gold cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. but did they really KNOW any better or different? sometimes..most times..it's not enough to change the person's view, you have to change where they come from.
    and to a lot of people that's just too difficult (not grouping you into anything, just making a general statement)

    Harris is right - ignorance comes from not knowing any more, not being exposed to anything further, not knowing that there IS MORE to LIFE than your own, tiny, reality. I could say I hope this never happens again but we both know it will. What you have to do is make a conscious decision on how you will deal with it when it does happen. Will you lose your cool over someone else's ignorance or roll with the punches?

    I do admire you for your confronting them straight on though. I've never had the balls to do that when I was younger and used to get talks for my skin colour (prob cus 1. I was young and 2. It was done mostly be people who could have kicked my ass and some who could have killed me).
    Lately it seems that my skin colour has risen to the surface yet again for some reason but I realised it makes no sense to fight every person that's ignorant about your heritage. People see exactly what is on the surface and nothing more. So I've owned my skin colour and accepted it for what it is, knowing that people who are lucky enough to know me more will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol @ "DARCEL ADVANTAGE GOLD CARDS"....for real

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im new to your Blogs but I just wanted to say that I love reading them & about you. I am 29 & have Vitiligo & at the moment its spreading like crazy. Im not yet at the point were I am comfortable with it.....I cant see myself ever being comfortable with who I am beacuse of it. I really do think that your whole attuide about you & your Vitiligo is amazing and I hope that one day I too can be comfortable with the person that iv been turned into on the outside. I just feel that my inside & outside doesn't match, like im not a whole complete person....I may sound mad but I dont know how to explain it. But I just feel that the person that I really am is being hidden in this odd body :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are people. Cliche'? Yes. Still true? Most definitely. Not everyone is the same, not everyone "sees" the same way. First time I met Darcel she was pasting a skirt of recycled newspaper to some random chick's scantily clad body. My first reaction was to stare at her, but because she was gorgeous and passionate about what she was doing - not because she was "white". Some people will do you justice, some will dismiss you out of hand and some will be much less mannerly than they've been raised to be. It's unfortunate but hopefully we all have as much poise as Darcel seems to exhibit when that time arrives for each of us. Personally, I doubt it would have taken me as long to respond. But then I've been "white" all my life, never had to grow into it like her. :D Bottom line, girlie; You've got more than enough folks who do; or at least try to, see you for who you are. Don't sweat the small stuff, or the small-minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that BS happens everywhere and not just T&T, but I can see it would be just that bit more infuriating cause it's your own people! Do what you do best sugar, hold your head high, be yourself and let who you are and your talent shine through your creative designs.. One day the group representing the CCC Youth Development Program will see your profile up there and hang their heads in shame.
    Easier said than done but never you mind them. The people who REALLY know you, love you for who you are and I'm one of them!
    Stay blessed chick .. Melli Mel (Melysah Charles)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darc love, all I read in there was jealousy. From one Trini to another you (and apparently Harris too) know how 'small island' attitudes are. As a young beautiful woman with knowledge of the world and fashion and a sense of class, you were confronted by a bunch of girls who never left home and were intimidated by what you represent. Even if noone knows what vitiligo is, we all know what being an albino is and although they are not the same, the concept is similar. I could get ignorant and wonder which little mud hut village behind God back they were from, but then that would be me being as ignorant as them. As for the club comment, let it fly over your shoulders love, because it could be a 'foot in the mouth' comment, made in jest, and probably not meant to be hurtful. I dont want to be as insensitive as those people but all I can say is that you are now, as you have always been to me, just Darc, Cellie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really wack.

    I have vitiligo, which I didn't get until I was 51 (I'm now 56)

    ReplyDelete