Monday, March 8, 2010

The Source of Inspiration...


Last night, I was watching the Oscars. At certain points of the awards show, there were some intense emotions. The first being Mo’nique’s win for her supporting actress role - in the movie Precious - and the honesty and humility in her speech. But even more emotional for me was finding out that the most talented hairstylist I know and have also had the pleasure of working with at Fashion Week was actually responsible for more than one of the phenomenal hairstyles seen at the awards, including Cameron Diaz.

To say that I am proud to know you Omar Lopez is an understatement. To know that I had the chance to work with you and then to sit in my living room watching your work on some of the world’s most powerful entertainers sparked such respect and admiration within me because I’m sure this is a dream come true for you… And you’ve sparked a new dream for me as well after watching that. What makes it even more wonderful, as I have already told you, is knowing how beautiful you are as a person as well.

And this is where I get to the point of this post. I realized that I know, or have been in the presence of so many talented, driven and truly inspiring people. I know a lot of people who are working to make their dreams come true every day. The truth is, we all do. You don’t have to look very far and it doesn’t have to be fashion or Hollywood, but around you and within you there is inspiration to make your dreams reality. And it doesn’t matter where you came from, what you went through or what you look like… you might have Vitiligo… so what? I’m sure you have a dream, and believe me, that dream is far bigger than your skin or your skin colour. Which is only as important as you make it.

So… cut away the dead weight. Cut away the things or people in your life who have made you feel like you weren’t good enough, strong enough, smart enough or good-looking enough to do something you wanted to do. Cut away the thoughts that the way you look can stop you from being or having anything you want.  Cut away the men, or women, who judge you by your skin and have you thinking that you are unworthy of a successful and loving relationship because of it.

We all have inspiring people around us, the people who push us, and who have kept us going when we thought we couldn’t anymore… and the people whose successes make you hungry for more success of your own. Be grateful for them, appreciate them and keep them around you. They give you strength that boosts you when you’re not too sure how to feel about yourself or your capabilities.  And know that you are good enough.

That’s my point. 
You are good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, this post is so timely for me, for so many reasons, and I just wanted to say thank you, for this and for all you are doing and being. Bless up and big love. -- Chenoa

    ReplyDelete