Thursday, August 5, 2010

Role Reversal...

I am not a hypocrite. I am not a hypocrite. I am not a hypocrite.


If you only knew how much I find myself freaking out these days when I see new spots of pigment appearing on my skin. They're tiny, unnoticeable, ridiculously small to the untrained, non-Vitiligo-recognizing eye... 


First it was my face... I accepted it, embraced my "freckles", learned to love them (am still learning), and then of course found MAC makeup and my life was transformed by how easily I could camouflage the newcomers, the intruder spots, the invaders who started arriving without warning. The freckles on my face are in constant fluctuation - some grow, some shrink, some fade. I learned to deal with it because I can cover it and it's not much compared to what other people have to go through.


And then, I got one or two little freckles on my shoulders. They're cute, I think they look like sexy little moles when I wear strapless or sleeveless clothing. They are also tiny, beautiful brown spots that I actually don't have a problem with because there's only a few of them and they are very strategically placed on my shoulders to look a little attractive, I think...


And now a week ago, I noticed a tiny, minute, looks-like-the-tip-of-a-pencil spot starting to form on my forearm. And the freaking out begins. In the past year it seems my skin has decided to reverse itself. People will tell me I'm being silly, they are only small dots of colour, it means nothing. But they don't know that's how it all started 20 years ago. Small little dots of white that meant nothing at the time.


I'm getting way ahead of myself and my thoughts are moving faster than my brain. Can I do this? Can I go through this natural ebb and flow of my skin playing tricks on me and deciding when it wants, without any consideration to my life and my wishes and my current state of mind, and how long it took me to get to this point of acceptance? Can I go through this... AGAIN? Another 20 years of my skin reversing itself, very possibly driving me to madness in the process and sending me straight over the edge of yet ANOTHER identity crisis?


Do I reconsider my thoughts on bleaching? And risk being labelled a hypocrite even though everyone should understand that things change, people change, opinions change? And that you never know a person's life until you experience it? Do I wait it out? Do I monitor the situation or take action now? Do I smile and lie to you guys, my readers, and pretend like right now it's fine and I can handle this and if my skin reverses itself, I'm going to hold my head high and go through it publicly like I did before and then be the same person at the end of it all?


I'm not a child anymore. This time is different. There is no bubble of protection like there was before. I have learned to rely on my skin to help me be who I have to be now... if it changes on me again, I'm scared to death that I will change as well...


Rambling thoughts of a crazy person...

4 comments:

  1. Don't mean to sound stupid but can it really reverse itself? Has there been any known cases?
    BTW, you should definitely write a book, I think it would be a bestseller!

    Cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unpredictability of the condition means that anything is possible. Someone may have just one patch of depigmented skin and never experience anything else, others may have a few patches that then regain their pigmentation and that's it... and then some people's Vitiligo changes and is constantly going and coming - patches grow, they shrink, weather and stress is a factor... It's very unpredictable behaviour as your immune system is basically attacking the melanin cells in your body. So yes, it can reverse - my concern is to what extent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will keep you in my prayers to find peace, however that may come...

    “The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you”

    Karen Jordan-paris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Darcel,
    Of course you have become comfortable and have adjusted to how things are now; it`s only natural. Don`t stress about it, whatever happens will happen. You are stronger than you realize and God knows best. You are not a hypocrite because you are worried about your skin going through another change.

    ReplyDelete